Filing a claim for insurance doesn’t have to be hard! Whether you’re filing for Chit Chats Insurance or carrier insurance (i.e. USPS, Canada Post & Canpar), we’ve broken down the steps for you.
- How to file a Chit Chats Insurance claim
- How to file a carrier insurance claim
1. How to file a Chit Chats Insurance claim
Important! In order to be eligible to file a claim for your insured shipment, it must be received by Chit Chats.
Once the waiting period for your shipment has passed, find the shipment in your account and look to the shipment details (right sidebar).* Click on File a Claim. This will take you to the claims submission form on our Insurer’s website. Alternatively, you can file your claim directly on the insurer's website by entering your shipment ID.
You will notice that a number of the shipment details have already been filled out for you. Complete and verify this information before submitting the claim. Further instructions on how to fill out the submission form can be found at the top of this page.
During the claims submission you will be asked to provide:
- Your return address information - this is so you can be reimbursed for your claim
- Recipient address information (consignee) - who & where the shipment was sent to
- Package details - what was included in the shipment, when it was shipped and the value
- What happened to the shipment - loss or damage, with supporting documentation from your recipient if available
*Insurance claims must be filed within 90 days from the original shipping date. You will have one year from the original ship date to provide any supporting documentation for your claim.
You can learn how to check the status of your claim here.
2. How to file a carrier insurance claim (USPS, Canada Post & Canpar)
Carrier insurance is coverage that is provided by the carrier for select services or postage types. For most carriers, default coverage is set to a fixed amount for loss or damage. On the Chit Chats platform, the following carrier insurance options are available:
- Chit Chats Canada Tracked: up to $100 CAD coverage available through Canada Post
- USPS Priority Mail: $50 - $100 USD coverage available through USPS
- Third party courier pickups: up to $100 CAD coverage available through Canpar
In most cases, an insurance claim may only be filed if tracking has been updated by the carrier. However, you will need to confirm the specific terms and conditions of the insurance coverage with the carrier. This type of insurance does not include coverage while the shipment is within Chit Chats’ service.
All claims need to be filed directly with the carrier, except in the case of Chit Chats Canada Tracked shipments which must be filed through Chit Chats. Filing a carrier insurance claim may take longer than Chit Chats Insurance claims. Generally you will be asked to provide the following when filing a carrier insurance claim:
- Shipment Tracking or Reference number
- Original ship date
- Insurable value or declared retail value of the shipment
- Proof of loss or damage (i.e. email correspondence or signed affidavit claiming non-receipt, photos of damage to shipment).
Aside from Chit Chats Canada Tracked claims, we will have no visibility on the status of your claim. Reimbursement will be processed through the carrier and generally has a longer timeline than with Chit Chats Insurance.
Chit Chats Canada Tracked
To file a claim for a Canada Tracked shipment with no Chit Chats Insurance you must submit a claim here. We will file a claim with the carrier on your behalf and provide you with regular updates on the status of your claim.
Third Party Courier Pickups (Canpar)
In the case of loss or damage, our third party courier pickups are covered by carrier insurance. Our courier partner, Canpar provides up to $100 CAD of insurance coverage for your consolidated shipments. Claims must be filed directly with Canpar and this can be done through their website.