Although Chit Chats is optimized for printing labels from thermal printers that use the Zebra programming language (ZPL), there is still a way to use your non-ZPL thermal printer when working with a Windows computer (e.g. Zebra LP2844, Rollo, Citizen, etc.).
Connect your non-ZPL thermal printer
If you have already configured your printer for your computer, please skip to the next section.
Before you begin the printer setup, ensure that your printer is connected to your computer and a power source. For the most accurate information, please follow the specific instructions in your printer's manual. You should be prompted to install the printer driver after connecting to your computer. If not, you can do a quick search for the driver online or use this tool to find the appropriate driver.
For Mac users, add the printer via System Preferences:
- Navigate to System Preferences > Printers
- Click the ‘+’ to add the printer (provide password of an administrator account if necessary). Select your printer from the list of printers.
- For the driver click “Select Software” and choose your printer from the available options.
You can make a test print on your printer to make sure it is properly connected by heading to your printer settings. If you experience difficulties with connecting your printer, we recommend contacting your printer’s manufacturer for technical support or checking out our troubleshooting tips. Or if the above steps do not work for you, you may need our advanced instructions.
Printing directly from Chit Chats using Bullzip
This guide is for Windows as the software we recommend is only available for Windows operating systems. A workaround for Mac users follows.
Before beginning, make sure that your printer settings are set to a 4 x 6” paper size and that you have downloaded the latest versions of Java and QZ tray (see our printer setup page).
Printing directly from Chit Chats with PDFWriter (Mac Workaround)
Our platform and the software we recommend are optimized for Windows operating systems however we suggest trying this workaround.
How to install the PDFWriter
- Download the PDFWriter program and install by double-clicking
- Go to your ‘System Preferences’ > ‘Printers and Scanners’
- Click ‘+’ to add a printer and select ‘PDFWriter’
- In the ‘Use’ field, it may default to Generic PostScript Printer. Change this in the drop-down menu to ‘Other’
- Navigate to Library > Printers > Lisanet > PDFwriter > PDFwriter.ppd and click the Open button
- If you are unable to see the PDFwriter, please reinstall the program and try again.
- Click the ‘Add’ button
- Head to our Printer Setup page and adjust the settings to ensure that you are using the Image (Dymo, laser, or inkjet) Printing Format and that you’ve selected the PDFWriter Printer from your list of available printers.
How to find the generated PDF files
- On the top Menu > Go > Folders
- Navigate to Macintosh HD/users/shared/PDFWriter/
- To create a shortcut, right-click on the folder and make an alias
- Copy this alias to the desktop or wherever you want to access this folder