If you are looking to file a claim for Chit Chats Insurance, see here. If your shipment was returned due to a COVID-19 service suspension, please contact us with your shipment ID for further details on postage refunds.
Carrier insurance is coverage that is provided by the carrier for select services or postage types. For most carriers, default coverage is set to a fixed amount for loss or damage. On the Chit Chats platform, the following carrier insurance options are available:
- Chit Chats Canada Tracked: up to $100 CAD coverage available through Canada Post
- USPS Priority Mail and Chit Chats U.S. Tracked shipments >1 lb: $50 - $100 USD coverage available through USPS
- USPS Priority Mail International: $100 - $200 USD coverage available through USPS
- Third party courier pickups: up to $100 CAD coverage available through Canpar
In most cases, an insurance claim may only be filed if tracking has been updated by the carrier. However, you should always confirm the specific terms and conditions of the insurance coverage with the carrier. This type of insurance does not include coverage while the shipment is within Chit Chats’ service.
Except for Chit Chats Canada Tracked claims, which must be filed through Chit Chats, it is the shipper’s responsibility to file a claim directly with the carrier. We will be unable to assist you with the completion of your claim as Chit Chats does not have visibility on the status of carrier claims. You should prepare to provide the carrier with the following when submitting your claim:
- Shipment Tracking or Reference number
- Original ship date
- Insurable value or declared retail value of the shipment
- Proof of loss or damage (i.e. email correspondence or signed affidavit claiming non-receipt, photos of damage to shipment).
- Recipient contact details (e.g. email address or phone number)
Filing a carrier insurance claim may take longer than Chit Chats Insurance claims and the waiting period to file will vary by carrier. Reimbursement will be processed through the carrier and generally has a longer timeline than with Chit Chats Insurance.
Chit Chats Canada Tracked
To file a claim for a Canada Tracked shipment if Chit Chats Insurance was not purchased, you must submit a claim with Chit Chats. We will file a claim with the carrier on your behalf and provide you with updates on the status of your claim.
As Chit Chats is the policyholder for Chit Chats Canada Tracked claims, please do not file your claim directly with Canada Post as we will not have visibility and it will delay the processing of your claim.
To get started with your claim, please fill out this form.
- We will forward this information to Canada Post for further investigation and review.
- Please note that Canada Post can take up to 90 days to process this request and to provide an update on the status of your claim.
- Once you have submitted the form, our Claims department will follow up and confirm that it has been received.
- We will provide you with an update 45 days or earlier from when the claim was filed.
Chit Chats will issue you the reimbursement for your approved claim in the form of credits added to your account. Please reach out to us if you have not received reimbursement for an approved Chit Chats Canada Tracked claim.
USPS & Chit Chats US Tracked
The sender of the U.S. shipment must be the one to file for insurance, it must be filed on USPS’s website. Here you will be guided through their claims process. Please note that as you will be filing this claim directly with USPS, Chit Chats will be unable to assist you with the completion of the claim. All questions must be sent to USPS directly.
If this is your first time filing a claim, you will first need to create a free USPS account. When creating the account, if you do not have your own U.S. address, you are permitted to use Chit Chats’ U.S. address for the purpose of filing a claim.
If your claim is approved by USPS, your reimbursement cheque will be sent to our U.S. address and we will forward this to your preferred branch free of charge.
Third Party Courier Pickups (Canpar)
In the case of loss or damage, our third party courier pickups are covered by carrier insurance. Our courier partner, Canpar provides up to $100 CAD of insurance coverage for your consolidated shipments. Claims must be filed directly with Canpar and this can be done through their website.