Before you can file an insurance claim, there is usually a period of time that you will have to wait before you can submit a claim. This is a common practice in the shipping industry especially for loss claims. As delivery times are estimates and are not guaranteed, most carriers or insurance providers will have a waiting period before a claim can be submitted. The waiting period ensures that the shipment is not experiencing a prolonged delay. For this reason, the waiting period will vary based on the shipment’s destination (i.e. U.S., Canada or international).
Waiting periods for Chit Chats Insurance
Claims for damage
- U.S. - Immediately
- Canada - Immediately
- International - Immediately
Claims for loss
- U.S. - 21 days from the ship date, 45 days if shipped to APO or FPO addresses
- Canada - 21 days from the ship date
- International - 45 days from the ship date, 60 days if shipped to an address in Italy
Important! All claims must be submitted within 90 days of the ship date. You will have one year from the ship date to provide any additional documentation for your claim.
Waiting periods for carrier insurance
If you are looking to file a claim for carrier insurance (i.e. USPS, Canpar and with the exception of Chit Chats Canada Tracked) you will need to confirm the waiting period with the carrier. Each carrier has different waiting periods dependent on:
- The type of claim (e.g. loss or damage)
- The shipment’s destination (e.g. U.S. or international)
- The service used (see USPS)
Chit Chats Canada Tracked
Carrier insurance claims for Chit Chats Canada Tracked shipments can be filed 10 days after the ship date and must be filed directly with us. All claims must be initiated within 30 days of the original ship date with Chit Chats.