File Type Errors
The Chit Chats CSV file importer only accepts Comma Separated Value (CSV) files. Please make sure that you are uploading the correct file type when importing shipments. You may need to convert your existing file to the CSV format or download your data again as a CSV.
Not in UTF-8 format
To import, your CSV files must be in UTF-8 format. To ensure your file is saved as UTF-8, make a copy of the sample template in Google and save as CSV. By default, Google saves these files as UTF-8 encoded.
If you have already saved your file as an Excel spreadsheet, then follow these steps:
- Navigate to the File menu option and click Save As
- Name your file
- Select the Save as type as .csv
- Click the Tools menu drop-down box and click Web Options
- Under the Encoding tab, see ‘Save this document as: Unicode (UTF-8)’ and click Save
The headers in the first row of the CSV template should not be altered in any way. Any changes to these headers will cause your import to fail.
Columns Are Formatted Incorrectly
These types of mistakes will often prevent you from being able to purchase postage for your shipments. You will likely see the ‘Unable to fetch postage rate’ error.
You must include the shipment information for all required fields on the CSV template. Certain destinations may have more required fields. Each field must be completed to the exact specifications shown in the sample template.
Acceptable inputs for the importer:
- phone number (required for EU shipments, imports will fail if omitted)
- size_unit (in or cm only)
- value_currency (usd or cad only)
- weight_unit (g, kg, lb or oz only)
- Ship_date (‘today’ or YYYY-MM-DD)
*Also keep in mind that the package and postage types indicated must be compatible.
For example, if ups_mi_expedited is used for postage_type, parcel must be indicated for package_type.
Please note that the cheapest_postage_type_requested field can only be used for shipments to U.S. addresses and will cause an error when used for Canadian and international shipments.
Additionally, you should check the eligibility of your shipment and postage type before adding features such as signature confirmation, Chit Chats Insurance or requesting delivered duties paid postage (e.g. Chit Chats International Tracked).
Some additional formatting errors may include:
- Name column is too long
- Recipient or return name must be fewer than 44 characters
- Customs tax reference number is too long
- Maximum 25 characters
- Value must be less than 2500, Value must be less than 800 (U.S. & international shipments)
- Unknown order_store ‘X’ e.g. ‘amazona’
- Double check the spelling of the store name
- Description is too short
- Minimum 3 characters
Name or Address Contains Special Characters
Recipient and return addresses that contain non-Latin characters (i.e. Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic, Hangul, Kanji, Russian, etc.) are not supported on our platform and will cause an import to fail.
Addresses should be provided in English whenever possible as even accented characters may produce an error. You should confirm with your recipient or use a translator program to ensure you have the correct address information in English.
If any special or non-Latin characters are required, create a secondary label with these characters that can be attached to the package in addition to your postage label. Just be sure to not cover the postage label.
Zip Code with Missing 'Leading Zero'
Some programs and applications like Excel automatically remove leading zeros. This will prevent you from entering postal/zip codes that start with 0 (e.g. 0123 becomes 123) and you may see the error: postal_code column is invalid.
If this happens, follow these steps to format your numbers as plain text which will ensure that leading zeros are displayed:
- Select the postal_code column heading
- In the Excel menu, change the format from 'Number' to 'Text'. Sort by descending order and add the '0' back in to the front of 4-digit zip codes if necessary
- Under Numbers: in the format sidebar on the right, click cell, in the "Data format" menu select 'Text'
Need more help?
If you are still having difficulty troubleshooting your import, please contact us with the following:
- Your client ID
- A copy of the file you are trying to upload
- Screenshots of the error message you are receiving