Follow the instructions below to import multiple shipments at one time.
1. Make a copy of our sample Chit Chats CSV file
There are 2 ways to make a copy of our sample Chit Chats CSV file.
- If you have a Google account, ensure that you are signed in. Select File > Make a copy...
- Without a Google account, select File > Download as > Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet) to download a copy of the template onto your computer.
2. Add your shipment data to the new document
Add your shipment data to the document by reviewing and following the column requirements (hover over the black triangles in top-right corner of each column header)
It is important to follow each column requirement exactly, or else your import may fail.
List of available columns (the ones marked with bold are required):
- name: recipient's name
- address_1: recipient's address street
- address_2: recipient's address street additional information
- city: recipient's address city
- province_code: recipient's address province code (required for U.S. and Canada)
- postal_code: recipient's address postal code / zip code (required for U.S. and Canada)
- country_code: recipient's address country code
- phone: recipient's phone number (required for international addresses*, contact option for Chit Chats Collect postage)
- customer_email: recipient’s email address (contact option for Chit Chats Collect postage)
- package_contents: description of contents (e.g. Merchandise, Documents)
- description: detailed list of each item contained with quantities
- must be a minimum of 3 characters in length and provided in English
- semicolons ";" can be used to separate the items of a list (required for international shipments with multiple items)
- value: retail value
- value_currency: currency for retail value
- order_store: optional store type from provided list
- order_id: associated order ID for selected store type
- vat_reference: IOSS number or other tax reference number (required for international addresses*)
- IOSS numbers must be a maximum of 15 characters in length
- sku: your custom identifiers for tracking your inventory (optional)
- tags: your custom identifiers for orders classification (optional)
- package_type: package type value from provided list
- size_x: package length (required for certain package types, like parcel)
- size_y: package width (required for certain package types, like parcel)
- size_z: package height (required for certain package types, like parcel)
- size_unit: unit of measurement for package dimensions mentioned above
- weight: package total weight
- weight_unit: unit of measurement for weight
- postage_type: postage type value from provided list
- cheapest_postage_type_requested: if desired, set to yes and set postage_type to unknown (U.S. shipments only)
- signature_requested: optional signature confirmation (where available); defaults to
noif left blank, set
- insurance_requested: optional insurance; defaults to account preference if left blank. Set
yesif desired, or
noif not desired.
- ship_date: the date you are dropping your packages off at Chit Chats
- duties_paid_requested: option to access duties paid postage for international shipments (requires vat_reference be provided); defaults to
noif left blank, set
- collect_type: branch or locker; auto selects the branch or locker offering the Chit Chats Collect service nearest the recipient address
3. Download document as CSV file
You can skip this step if you have chosen the option to download the CSV template as a file on Step 1.
Once all the shipments have been added to the document, download as CSV format from File > Download as > Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)
4. Upload the file to Chit Chats
Once the file is saved, go to the Upload a file page within your account and follow the instructions on screen.
If there are any issues in the sheet's formatting then no shipments will be imported and the importer will display error messages to help you resolve the issues.
Note that the importing tool is quite strict on the rules for package classes set by USPS so ensuring that your shipments follow these restrictions is important.
Check out common errors when importing and how to resolve them.
Once the issues are solved, your shipments will upload and be added to your accounts pending page. From here you can buy postage and print labels as needed. Once your shipment has the "Ready" status, you can drop it off at one of our locations.
5. Editing Shipments
Before completing your import you'll be asked if you want to edit your shipment or apply a preset. We'll record these changes as well as the original description for your reference in the shipment sidebar menu.
Please note that these features are not available for content descriptions and retail values for your international shipments. This is because you must provide a detailed customs description including specific quantity and retail value for each item in every international shipment you import. Whenever available, our integrations will pull this information for your orders.
Don't forget shipment descriptions must be provided in English. Providing a second language is optional. This is because English is the designated language for our international shipping partners which also include any U.S. bound shipments.
*As of July 1, 2021 IOSS numbers and recipient phone numbers are required for all shipments to the European Union (EU) and customs may attempt to notify the recipient of any outstanding duties or taxes. A failure to provide this information may result in additional customs delays, fees and the potential for non-delivery (meaning your shipment may either be returned to sender or destroyed). Similar customs tax number requirements exist for shipments to the UK.