Follow the instructions below to import multiple shipments for which you need to purchase postage.
1. Make a copy of our sample Chit Chats CSV file
There are 2 options to make a copy of our sample Chit Chats CSV file available as a Google sheet document.
- If you have a Google account, ensure that you are signed in. Select File > Make a copy...
- If you do not have a Google account, select File > Download as > Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet) to download a copy of the template on your computer.
2. Add your shipment data to the new document
Add your shipment data to the document by reviewing and following the column requirements (hover over the black triangles in top-right corner of each column header)
It is important to follow each column requirement exactly, or else your import may fail.
List of available columns (the ones marked with bold are required):
- name: recipient's name
- address_1: recipient's address street
- address_2: recipient's address street additional information
- city: recipient's address city
- province_code: recipient's address province code (required for U.S. and Canada)
- postal_code: recipient's address postal code / zip code (required for U.S. and Canada)
- country_code: recipient's address country code
- phone: recipient's phone (required for International addresses)
- package_contents: description of contents (e.g. Merchandise, Documents)
- value: retail value
- value_currency: currency for retail value
- order_store: optional store type from provided list
- order_id: associated order ID for selected store type
- package_type: package type value from provided list
- size_x: package length (required for certain package types, like parcel)
- size_y: package width (required for certain package types, like parcel)
- size_z: package height (required for certain package types, like parcel)
- size_unit: unit of measurement for package dimensions mentioned above
- weight: package total weight
- weight_unit: unit of measurement for weight
- postage_type: postage type value from provided list
- signature_requested: optional signature confirmation (where available); defaults to
noif left blank, set
- insurance_requested: optional insurance; defaults to account preference if left blank. Set
yesif desired, or
noif not desired.
- ship_date: the date you are dropping your packages off at Chit Chats
3. Download document as CSV file
You can skip this step if you have chosen the option to download the CSV template as a file on Step 1.
Once all the shipments have been added to the document, download as CSV format from File > Download as > Comma-separated values (.csv, current sheet)
4. Upload the file to Chit Chats
Once the file is saved, go to the Upload a file page within your account and follow the instructions on screen.
If there are any issues in the sheet's formatting then no shipments will import and the importer will display error messages to help you resolve the issues.
Note that the importing tool is quite strict on the rules for package classes set by USPS so ensuring that your shipments follow these restrictions is important.
Check out common errors when importing and how to resolve them.
Once the issues are solved, your shipments will upload and be added to your accounts pending page. From here you can buy postage and print labels as needed. Once your shipment has the "Ready" status, you can drop it off at one of our locations.